Questions for your team
After treatment you might still have lots of questions. If you’re unsure of anything, always ask your treating team. Your team will understand your specific diagnosis and treatment better than your family and friends or anyone on the internet, so you can be sure you’ll be getting the right information.
Make a list. Well before your appointment, think about what you want to know, and write down a list of questions so you don’t forget anything. You can also browse the Key Questions below to get you thinking about what you might want to know.
Take a support person. Is there someone who could come to your appointments with you? They can support you, and even act as notetaker to help you remember and understand what has been discussed.
Keep a record. Take a pen and paper to all appointments – or you could try using the CanRecall app to record answers. Always be sure to ask permission if you plan to make an audio recording during an appointment.
Ask for notes. If you think it would be helpful, you can also ask your doctor to give you diagrams, or to write down the names of medications or terms you’re not familiar with.
Think about what you would like to know, and use this list of questions to get you started. We have not provided answers, as everyone's situation is different. Your treating team is best placed to answer these questions for you.
Remember that not all of the questions will relate to you. You might want answers to some of these questions now, while some may become more important later on.
Last Updated: 31 October, 2019 1:15 pm
- Are there any long-term side effects I should look out for? And who should I contact if I notice anything?
- What kinds of check-ups will I need? How often and for how long?
- Who will I see for check-ups?
- How would I know if my cancer came back?
- Is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of my cancer returning?
- Is there anything I should or shouldn’t do? (e.g. drinking alcohol, exercising, flying)
- Am I OK to travel?
- If I’m going for a job, should I tell my employer I have had cancer?
- I still feel fatigued – is this normal after treatment?
- I’m not sleeping well. Is there anything I can do?
- Is it normal to feel that things have changed since I was diagnosed?
- Is there somewhere I can get support now?
- Where can I get help to deal with feelings of anxiety or depression?
- Where can my partner and I get some help with our relationship?
- What should I be doing about contraception?
- I am single – how do I manage meeting new potential partners?