Questions for your team
During treatment you’re likely to have a lot of questions. If you’re unsure of anything, always ask your treating team. Your team will understand your specific diagnosis and treatment better than your family and friends or anyone on the internet, so you can be sure you’ll be getting the right information.
Make a list. Well before your appointment, think about what you want to know, and write down a list of questions so you don’t forget anything. You can also browse the questions below to get you thinking about what you might want to know.
Take a support person. Is there someone who could come to your appointments with you? They can support you, and even act as notetaker to help you remember and understand what has been discussed.
Keep a record. Take a pen and paper to all appointments – or you could try using the CanRecall app to record answers. Always be sure to ask permission if you plan to make an audio recording during an appointment.
Ask for notes. If you think it would be helpful, you can also ask your doctor to give you diagrams, or to write down the names of medications or terms you’re not familiar with.
Before your appointments, think about what you would like to know. Here is a list of questions to get you started. We have not provided answers, as everyone's situation is different. Your treating team is best placed to answer these questions for you.
Remember that not all of the questions will relate to you. You might want answers to some of these questions now, while some may become more important later on.
- What will happen during my treatment?
- How long will treatment take?
- Is there someone I can speak to who has been through similar treatment?
- Are there any other treatment options I should consider?
- Are there any side effects I should look out for?
- Who should I contact if I’m concerned?
- Who can help me manage side effects?
- Is it better for me to rest or exercise during treatment? What should I avoid?
- Is there anything I should or shouldn’t do? (e.g. driving, drinking alcohol)
- Are there particular foods I should or shouldn’t eat during treatment?
- Are there any complementary therapies that would help me?
- How can I get support for my family?
Last Updated: 30 January, 2020 3:01 pm