Become a Peer Support Volunteer
Thinking of joining our team of volunteers?
Applications for our 2022 intake have now closed. We will be recruiting a new intake of volunteers in 2023.
Watch our information session: Everything you need to know about becoming a Peer Support Volunteer at Counterpart to learn about the role. Recorded in Melbourne on Tuesday 26 July 2022
Volunteer Coordinator, Kellie Holland and some of our Peer Support Volunteers discuss the role of Peer Support Volunteers, the comprehensive training program, volunteers' experiences of providing support, and how you can apply to join the team.
Download the Peer Support Volunteer position description.
Contact Kellie at [email protected] for more information.
Would you like to support other women affected by cancer?
Our Peer Support Volunteers:
- lend a listening ear
- provide emotional and practical support
- help others affected by cancer.
- Complete an application form by Friday 12 August.
- Training course – each Tuesday for 6 weeks (11 October – 15 November 2022).
- Introduction to our Resource Centre and programs.
- Commitment – volunteer for at least 1 x 5 hour shift each month on a Monday, Wednesday or Thursday.
- Training days – these are held on a Tuesday, around three times a year.
- You have had a cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Ideally it has been at least one year since you were first diagnosed with cancer.
- You have a good understanding of written and spoken English.
- You are aged between 18 and 80.
We are a supportive and inclusive service and value diversity among our volunteers and staff. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds and communities to apply, including: First Nations women; women from culturally and linguistically diverse communities; members of the LGBTIQ+ community, including non-binary and gender diverse people; women with a disability; younger women; and women living with metastatic/advanced cancer.
Want to know more?
- Visit What is peer support?
- Download the Peer Support Volunteer position description
- View our webinar Becoming a Peer Support Volunteer
- Still have questions? Email our Volunteer Coordinator: [email protected]
Hear what some of our Peer Support Volunteers have to say
Watch the videos below and go to Meet our volunteers for more volunteer stories.